Friday, February 6, 2009

Paul Mony

I made this portrait of Paul Mony on the beach in Kommetjie (outside cape Town). Notice the howling wind combined with slow shutter speed (see swimming shorts). I am amazed it is still fairly sharp. Paul was headed for his evening swim in the Atlantic. This is an endeavor not for the faint of heart. The water is so unbelievably cold it is hard to imagine swimming in it without a wetsuit, after the sun has gone down, and in a howling gale. Not my idea of fun. I spent quite a while trying to get sand out of my 4x5 after this.

2 comments:

Bek said...

Clearly, the dude is a badass. And quite good at holding still.

I really like your framing for this one, Ian, and the cool tones.

Jace said...

yeah, sand pretty much gets everywhere. if it weren't for the feeling between the toes and the association with the beach. i'd HATE it. nice portrait.