Saturday, September 17, 2011

Advise on Artist Statements from Aline Smithson

There are a few blog's that I visit everyday to keep up with what's going on in the photographic world, and to ultimately get inspired. Lenscratch was founded and is edited by Aline Smithson who review's many photographic bodies of work. She was the first person I thought of who could give valid insight into how to write an effective artist statement. This is what she had to say:
"I think the most effective statements come from the heart, not the head. Statements that have too much art speak, too many big vocabulary words feel un-genuine to me. I always approach my own statements from a personal perspective. I tell why I was drawn to the subject, what I connected with, and what I learned. You want to bring the viewer along with you on the journey and allowing them to connect with you and the work is important." Aline Smithson

No comments: